With a climate that can range from sweltering summer days to crisp and chilly winter nights, Salt Lake City residents often have fireplaces to help with indoor temperature control. If you’re looking to have one installed in your home, there are some safety measures you need to do before calling a contractor.
Fireplaces are notorious as fire hazards. If you’re still wondering whether these could start fires at home, the answer is yes — they can (if left unsupervised) and will most likely will. Of course, Comfort Solutions says that pros must follow all industry safety standards. There are odd cases where a small amount of negligence could potentially cost you your home after all.
Here are some of the ways fireplaces can be dangerous and what you can do to keep its fire from burning where it’s not supposed to:
Soot or creosote is that thick, black substance that burning fires often leave behind as a residue. With the frequent use of your fireplace, this material builds up fairly quickly. What makes it dangerous is its combustibility. When creosote ignites, it could cause a fire up the chimney and may spread if not contained properly. To avoid this from happening, regular chimney cleaning is necessary. Professionals can deal with creosote build-up and prevent chimney fires in the future.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has a long list of safety standards that everybody, from fireplace manufacturers to installation contractors, must follow at all times. Improper installation can lead to fireplace failure and, eventually, a fire. When you’re shopping around for installation experts, check and double check that they follow all recommended guidelines to the letter.
There’s a myth that most everyone believes that airtight homes can save a few dollars off of your heating bill. Unfortunately, this could create what is known as negative pressure. Besides the people living in your home, many other things need oxygen in the air to work. Unfortunately, most of them are the controlled fires that we use in stoves and fireplaces.
If your ventilation system is pulling out air while the fireplace is burning, this could exhaust the oxygen in a room quickly and replace it with odorless, colorless, and highly toxic carbon monoxide. Professionals in heating and fireplace installation can answer your questions about this known issue, so you can prepare beforehand.
Fireplaces can be a good addition to any home, and with cold nights covering the city for about seven months out of a year, and could also be a necessary part of your indoor heating system. If you’re planning to install one, it pays to prepare.